Two furry souls found their way to heaven today. My heart breaks for my friends who lost their four-legged best friends. With the wounds from putting my Barley to sleep just a few weeks ago still stinging, I have a softer than usual spot in my heart for the loss of a pet.
When we had to make the decision to put Barley down, I appreciated the kind words from friends and family more than they will probably ever know. I want to pay it forward and honor these special pets, and share some quotes that I’ve been holding close to my heart recently.
“All dogs go to heaven because, unlike people, dogs are naturally good and loyal and kind.” – All Dogs Go to Heaven
“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”
“The only thing wrong with [pets] is that they do not live long enough.”
And of course, my Barley boy.
It is obviously hard to see any silver lining after saying goodbye to an animal that is part of your family, but I was able to find joy in reminiscing on the wonderful life Barley and I spent together. Knowing how much love filled our relationship slowly helped to ease the pain of having to let go. I am a strong believer that they are all up there chasing mice, lounging in a nice patch of sunlight, or getting all the yummy treats they want. I find peace in knowing they’re all in a better place.
I’ll leave you on a happy note with the 15 things you learn from your dog.
1. Always be happy to see those you love.
2. Approach each day and each new experience with enthusiasm (even a walk).
3. Never underestimate the power of praise.
4. Don’t bite when just a growl will do.
5. Don’t be afraid to show your joy! When you are happy – show it. Wiggle and wag.
6. Never turn down a car ride with someone you love.
7. Be loyal.
8. Lounge under a tree in the shade on a hot day.
9. Every once in a while put your head out the window and feel the air on your face and hair.
10. Have a favorite toy.
11. Don’t hold a grudge.
12. When someone is having a bad day – be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently..
13. Eat each meal with vigor and enjoy anything that’s offered.
14. Protect and defend those you love.
15. Enjoy every day to it’s fullest.